• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
...and the second-worst rated on MAL (behind Skelter Heaven).

How do you find worst rated anime on MAL? I tried searching for such list, but didn't find anything. Confused
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
Just search by score. It shows all anime with the given score and upwards. Put the score as 1 or 2 and you're golden.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
Alright. Thanks. Smile

I guess I'll need to see Mars of Destruction too. I wonder how bad it is.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
^ So what you're saying is...that the first FMA anime is bad because...

A) This wasn't what happened in the ORIGINAL source material!

B) I don't agree with these messages! BLASPHEMY!

A) No, I didn't like the plot prior to reading the manga. BONES just did not understand the world, fascism, alchemy, immortality {now you're making me remember that part} or actual characterization. Remind me again, why did Ed have to fight Greed and why did Greed agree to it? He's Greed, self interest isn't just his nature, it's him. Pride, Wrath, ok if really unimaginative. Sloth rounds out the Seven Deadly Sins by being one of them by not embodying "sloth".

And it always warms my heart to think the real Roy Mustang would have the first one court martialed for that early {filler...} "shonen shenanigans" train episode. Yeah, the real military wouldn't do that. Sure, if Ed was a State Alchemist then yes, he'd be ordered to but they should have said "Boy, mind your own business, this is the military's job." You could argue Roy had everything in hand but the real Roy doesn't even trust himself.

Also, filler characters! Also, There's no point in Hohenheim being their alchemy father as their dad is spoiler[ the man Hohenheim killed]. {I still so hate that plot point}. So much for genetics in that world. Also, Dante. Also, Rose. Also, rape! Wait, that shouldn't have an exclamation point...

Barry the Chopper the early days {it didn't have to be personal! It shouldn't have been personal}, those twins, that stupid training two parter with the third party who has nothing to do with the ratio of the world, you and alchemy. "He's going to getcha!" Also, also, also. What was done better? The earlier parts of the manga. Why not in Brotherhood? Because of the earlier anime.

B) I don't care about source material accuracy or not {you should hear me complain about Hellsing Ultimate}, I just want a good story with good development and characters. The last thing I want is Roy Mustang taking an interest in two country boys before they become entangled in any "plots" or even learn any alchemy because "main characters".

Also, Shou Tucker. The more I force myself to remember this show, the more I hate it. "We need a good villain, someone we can really hate." "Nazis!" "... maybe later." "Proto Nazi who does evil experiments!" {Yes, there's a good one in the manga. Plus another who reforms.} "And we had an evil scientist already!" {I'd consider him more insane but here, he's evil and less crazy for some reason. Well, not some reason, this reason} "Ok, why is he doing the experiments?"

"... because he's evil?" I love the way this series doesn't think.

B 2) I loathe the way this series doesn't think.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
^ I'm sorry. All I could hear was a whole bunch of nit-picking on your end. I'm not saying you should like FMA. Go ahead and hate it all you want. Just don't use bad reasoning to "justify" your almighty hatred. Also, I'm only thirteen episodes in. I can't answer most of your questions about plot or characterization. Once again, I think it's fine as a stand-alone so far.

EDIT: Look, I'm having an awful day. One of my cats scratched me up and drew blood from my ear (thank god it wasn't serious enough for a doctor's appointment) and my mom and I got into a horrible fight regarding my hatred of my hair. Can we just agree to disagree before the mods get involved?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
It is not my habit not to finish a movie or a series. I hate doing it and it has only happened a handful of times. But sorry, Loups=Garous, after 35 minutes, I am abandoning you to never return. Yet another film with interesting premises that the makers had no clue how to develop.

First of all, the dubbing is awful. In Japanese, people do add -san, and -kun to their names, we all know, but constantly hearing in English young characters addressing each other as Miss Mio and Mr Hazuki or whatever sounded really artificial. I know later on they drop it to call each other less formally, but still, did not sound great. Secondly and more importantly, the plot is a mess. I have no clue what is happening, some characters pop put of nowhere to do nothing and hen they disappear only to pop out and no nothing again. The dialogue are full of lines such as -spoiler[It's not normal to take someone's organs.] I am not sure I want to waste any more time on it knowing there is so much more to watch.

The chaotic quartet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
...and my mom and I got into a horrible fight regarding my hatred of my hair.

I hope I'm not making a bad day worse for you, but I really lol'd when I read that. Hope things get better for you!
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
First of all, the dubbing is awful.

What did you think of the dub's baffling mistake in changing the gender of one of the girls? Pretty weird, huh?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Just search by score. It shows all anime with the given score and upwards. Put the score as 1 or 2 and you're golden.

how do you do that?
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
You go to MAL, click Anime, then Advanced Search, select the score (1), then click Search Anime, and then Score to sort them all out by their ratings.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
oh, cool. thanks
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
First of all, the dubbing is awful.

What did you think of the dub's baffling mistake in changing the gender of one of the girls? Pretty weird, huh?

Compared to the complete lack of any sort of plot, the sex change was the least of this film's problems... Smile
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, Loups=Garous.

All I really have to say is this: That movie doesn't make sense.

It just doesn't make sense. It seems like what would result if an alien watched a lot of movies and tried to replicate one: it hits a lot of the cinematographic and emotional beats competently, but it's just not a logical string of events and ideas.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
...but the real Roy doesn't even trust himself...

But who is the real Roy Mustang? The one in FMA? FMB? The manga? Surely there is no definitive Roy Mustang? There are three Roy Mustangs in three versions of the story bearing a similar title. All I know is that the FMB Roy Mustang, like most (but not all) of the other characters who appear in both, is a simpler, less interesting version of the FMA Roy Mustang. And that's because FMB concentrates more on the conflict between straightforward "good" and "bad" characters than any contemplation of the consequences of the characters' actions. By doing so it is more true to its shounen (and shounen at heart) audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I keep trying to trudge through Captain Harlock but... at first I enjoyed it, but now it's like a sleep aid.

Man, I may have to switch over to K-dramas for a while after finishing you're Beautiful. That was like a live action shojo, it was really really awesome! I may, in fact, subscribe to DramaFever at the current $5 rate because I keep seeing things on there I want. I don't seem to watch too many US dramas, I'll watch Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Orphan Black, and some of the odd short BBC ones that tend to air around Doctor Who, but now I want to try out more K-dramas, whee! I have two waiting in the wings, things I got cheap on DVD, namely Goong (whose manhwa I adore, in case the avvy didn't tip you off) and Inside the Tower.
But yeah, You're Beautiful, you'd think it could take the easy way out with the gender bending comedy, but it really is better than that. It's weird in that I think some of the tropes would actually annoy me more if they were drawn rather than live action, but I guess an actor's charisma can really help with that as I thought they were all pretty awesome. I think it also helped that they were older than high school. Though I was still baffled at some of the culture shock, and I simply must wonder, is that what boy bands in Korea do? Do they have screaming fans like that? Do they live in these awesome house thingies? Why is men wearing eye liner so damn popular? But yeah, I still enjoyed it, even when things like guy liner confused me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 821 of 1062