• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Just got done watching Majikoi Oh Samurai Girls myself. Marathoned it in 2 nights. I wanted a simple action show with some T&A to relax with after a long week. It filled that role nicely. It wasn't too bad either for a typical harem action/comedy. The fight scenes were pretty nice. Would've been nice to get more background on the other main characters besides Momoyo. And even she didn't get that much. Still it was fun and gave me my T&A fix.

I'm busy sorting through my holiday purchases and streaming shows to determine what to watch next. Got a lot to choose from.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Welcome red490246! I'm rewatching the first season of Durarara! first before moving to the second. I'm curious whether they'll manage to keep things interesting. Looking forward to it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Welcome red490246! I'm rewatching the first season of Durarara! first before moving to the second. I'm curious whether they'll manage to keep things interesting. Looking forward to it.

I figure since it's been long enough since I've seen season 1 I should do the same myself. Then again I have a lot of holiday anime I bought and other streaming shows from last year to go through as well. So I might not get to Durarara until later this spring.
red490246

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:

Thanks A Mystery! Yeah, I just rewatched it the last while, had forgotten who was who (if you know what I mean). Yeah, I hope they keep with the same storytelling style and surprise plot twists.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
red490246 wrote:
Sorry! Didn't know this rule, I edited my post...
That's quite all right! Cool

So I've seen The Tale of the Princess Kaguya at the Detroit Film Theatre. It's true that there were a couple of times when I was checking my watch; however, the film kept me guessing right up to the very end as to whether or not Kaguya would ever get married.

Rating: Masterpiece (11/11)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
To celebrate my birthday yesterday, I spent the midday watching Sukeban Deka. A troubled girl named Saki Asamiya has spent much of her time in a reformatory. An inspector offers her two options: become an officer or watch her imprisoned mother suffer a death sentence. Saki returns to Takanoha High, only to find out that the crime-ridden school of her past has been overtaken by a trio of mysterious sisters, the Mizuchi. Armed with her powerful yo-yo and her sharp personality, Saki sets out to save her school and hunt down criminals.

I had no problem enjoying Sukeban Deka to its fullest. Those scenes of life-threatening combat were an intense blast, albeit pretty frightening at the same time. The show did take a tragic turn when spoiler[Saki's new-found friend Junko was found dead after being tortured by a pair of over-sized henchmen of the Mizuchi Sisters]. However, I was relieved when spoiler[Saki emerged from the fire with handcuffed and unconscious Remi Mizuchi alive]. It was quite a happy ending, I think.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Watching Blassreiter. Find the premise behind it to be a decent one despite some of the common tropes of action and drama titles being milked and the action's pleasing on the eyes despite the CG-rendered Blassreiters sticking out like a sore thumb from the regular animation. Aspects to it I find to be a bit annoying are how heavy handed the show's attempts at religious themes and drama can be, particularly in regards to spoiler[the bullying Joseph and Malek have had to put up with.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
red490246 wrote:

Thanks A Mystery! Yeah, I just rewatched it the last while, had forgotten who was who (if you know what I mean). Yeah, I hope they keep with the same storytelling style and surprise plot twists.

I'd even forgotten some plot twists. Who was the girl with the scar again Laughing? Wasn't it... or was it?? Oh... how could I've forgotten.

I felt so stupid.

Anyway, enjoy your time here.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I finally started watching Yona of the Dawn. I'm glad I waited to watch this, because I had a blast watching chunks of it. I love this show. The characters and story are interesting. The biggest thing going for this series is the characters. I love the interaction and I'm surprised that Yona didn't annoy me as much as I thought she would.

Now Viz just needs to license the manga so they can take more of my money. Very Happy
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
Carried by the Wind is up and streaming by Bandai Visual. I forgot how good an anime swordfight could be or rather, should be. It's not as cohesive as Daichi's other work, Jubei Chan, but it's got some chops.

And some slices. And some stabs...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
I got a couple volumes of L/R: Licensed by Royalty in Crunchyroll's (Rightstuff's) Halloween Mystery bundle and bought the other two directly through Right Stuff as a cheap add-on with my Holiday sale order. Just watched it over the last couple days.

What a hot mess. Oh, it's fun, it has style, but you'll feel a little sorry for yourself, and it, if you get into a relationship.

The beginning couple episodes are a disaster of bad story-telling and horrible editing, and while that gets better, the plot holes are big enough to drive a Healey through.

The character development is pretty good and the core cast is likable enough. Shortcuts are taken and you need to imply some back story yourself, but the character chemistry is definitely the highlight of the series.

Because of the characters and the possibly unintentional humor of the Rupert Murdock-like villain I was finishing it up in a forgiving mood. I was justst looking at it and saying... no, it doesn't make sense, but hey, the bad guys get caught, the good guys come out heroically, alright...

But, oh god, the contrived and pointless "Cowboy Bebop ending" ... Wow, is that bad, just... why? It doesn't fit the tone of the show... the way it goes down makes no sense, It's not tragic, its not ironic, it's not noble... it's just stupid. It's just like the director noticed other shows doing it so he wanted to do it too. ugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching the Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket OVA. Damn it was good. I had so little expectations because the original Gundam was so meh, but I was impressed by how much better this installment was. In six episodes they gave more weight to the war and more depth to the characters than the original managed in over 40 eps. I especially liked how they didn't draw the Federation=Good, Zeon=Bad generalization, but actually looked at the conflict in all its grey zones. So maybe some guys in Zeon are very evil because they wanted to nuke the whole colony, but the guys in the Federation (Chris included) were up to some skeevy business establishing a base in a neutral zone.

I also liked how well they developed the relationship between Al and Bernie, it just progressed very naturally, and by the end it was easy to understand why they'd become so close, and thus the end result was very saddening. I have no clue of how many characters died in the original Gundam, but let's say a good handful of allegedly relevant people died, but once again, I didn't connect with any of them the way I did with spoiler[Bernie].

Finally I'll have to throw a bone at the ending montage that showed illustrations of how regular children coexist with the war in their daily lives. There was something very powerful about those images, they totally looked like they could've been real life photographs and it really brought the message home about the costs of war and how growing up in that environment can be.

Rated Very Good

So here's a question for all you Gundam experts: I have the Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory in my "to-watch" pile. I didn't like the original Gundam but I loved War in The Pocket. Is 0083 closer to the original or to 0080? Would you recommend it? What about Gundam Wing? I don't want to spend 49 episodes waiting for stuff to never get interesting, so I'd really appreciate your opinions.

Since I was feeling a little burned out by so much space sci-fi anime I picked up Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror, and powered through it in one sitting. The first story was great, I liked the involvement of the narrator, especially for the conclusion when he started pondering whether the curse existed solely because people wanted it to exist. The second story was kind of meh, it wasn't actually horrific and the love story was kind of lame. I actually got pretty pissed off at the main Forgotten Goddess because spoiler[she waited until all of her friends had died to start doing shit]. Sort of like Usagi in SMC, she ditched her loyal friends to be with a dude. I wanted them both to die. The last story was AMAZING. I've already watched Mononoke, but watching that story made me want to revisit it. The backgrounds and details of that hellish house were mindblowing and I really liked how they told us the Bakeneko's story through images and short dialogues, rather than long expositions. Rated the show Excellent. Could've been a Masterpiece, but 1/3 of it was terrible (the second story), so that brought the overall grade down.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
^I definitely ain't no expert (having only completed the one Gundam series I'm talking about here), but it was always my impression that Gundam Wing was more popular among more casual Gundam fans than the hardcore group, with a significant portion of them being females who liked shipping the pretty characters together... which is true in my case. I've tried to rewatch the series since its first Toonami run and have found it boring a lot of the time. GW is definitely a lot more memorable for the fandom and fanfics it spawned.

Most opinions I hear from hardcore Gundam fans tend to be that it's one of the worse series of the franchise.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
So here's a question for all you Gundam experts: I have the Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory in my "to-watch" pile. I didn't like the original Gundam but I loved War in The Pocket. Is 0083 closer to the original or to 0080? Would you recommend it?

Stardust Memories was really bad and I dropped it because I couldn't take it anymore. Some good battle sequences but the rest of it sucks. And no, it's nothing like War in the Pocket, although that said most Gundam titles aren't: War in the Pocket is rather unusual compared to most Gundam titles.

CrowLia wrote:
What about Gundam Wing? I don't want to spend 49 episodes waiting for stuff to never get interesting, so I'd really appreciate your opinions.

Gundam Wing was only popular in North America because it aired on Toonami (here is the admittedly cool promo). It isn't a good series - not terrible but fairly weak - and is perfectly skippable. It's main problem is that it didn't know what kind of show it wanted to be and there was no clear direction on where the characters would go with their arcs, so the whole show is a mess. I'd recommend Gundam SEED or especially Gundam X instead.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I liked Gundam 08th MS Team (OAV).
Seemed very different from the first, wing, and 00.
Just mostly non superhuman soldiers in mostly ground campaigns.

The end is fairly wonky though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 835 of 1062